Though in modern models of conditioners and split-systems the heating mode is foreseen, nevertheless, most parts of users use the technique only in summer when it is cold. That is why the equipment has a period of idle time. But here a hot time began, you have turned on the air conditioner after winter and found out that
– the split-system is not cooling, but blowing warm air;
– air conditioner is started, it worked and stopped cooling, and now the conditioner is blowing warm, and the temperature in a premise is not getting lower.
We have prepared an article about the reasons why the air conditioner blows but does not cool the air, to help you understand the situation and decide whether you need to call a technician.
Is the air conditioner really not cooling? Carry out the diagnostics
Before to search malfunctions in a split system check the outer reasons which are not connected with the equipment. Besides the cold-productivity of the conditioner itself, the cooling of the premise is influenced by:
1. Time of operation of climatic equipment. Customers often forget that when the air conditioner turns on, it does not cool air on the premise instantly. It takes 10, 15, and 20 minutes for the temperature to drop significantly. Depending on the size of a premise, the temperature outside and inside, and the capacity of a split system.
Correspondence of capacity of split-system to external parameters, of course, conditioner of small capacity will not be able to cool significantly a spacious premise, when it is hot in the street and the premise is very warm. While choosing equipment one often misses the fact that a load can be a peak, and one should take an air conditioner with extra “power”.
2. Isolation of the premise. The air conditioner in the apartment will cool badly if there are “holes in air tightness” of the premise: open windows, doors, and working ventilation system. The additional inflow of heat from outside or forced outflow of cold air from the room are the reasons that lead to poor cooling.
3. “Blocked” air inlet or outlet, another cause. Obstructions in the form of curtains, blinds, or furniture prevent proper air circulation and, consequently, cooling.
If there is enough power, the inlet and outlet are free, the windows-doors are closed and enough time has passed, but it is not getting cooler, then you need to diagnose the equipment. To put it simply, to measure the temperature of the air on a conditioner’s input and on the output.
Measure the inlet temperature at the air intake grills. Put the thermometer on the cabinet or hold it in your hand. The outlet temperature is measured in the jet outside or by sticking the thermometer slightly inward through the louvers.
Warning. Do not push the thermometer deep into the housing. It may get under the fan blades.
The temperature difference on the “inlet-outlet” of the functioning conditioner is within the limits of 7-15 degrees. If you only switch the conditioner on maximal cooling, and the difference is less than this value, it means that your split system is not cooling because of some inner reasons.
Besides you can check the output temperature of a stream with certified values. Usually, in the certificate of equipment, you can see the temperature of cooling mode at the output, for example, 6-14°C for non-inverter systems. Inverters give the same parameters when turned on, and after reaching the set temperature in the room, they slightly raise the value at the output – up to 12-17°C degrees. If the temperature of the output stream exceeds the rated temperature, you should look for a problem inside the air conditioner.
The air conditioner blows warm air, what problems you can fix yourself
1. Set the high temperature in the settings
For fast cooling, it is recommended to choose a minimum. And then switch to a comfortable temperature.
2. Fan mode is selected
And the air just circulates without cooling.
3. Heating mode selected by mistake
You have accidentally selected heating mode instead of cooling mode.
4. The filters of the indoor unit (coarse and fine filters) are clogged.
Dust, hair, and hair clog the filters and deposit them on the heat exchanger plates. As a result, the heat removal from the evaporator deteriorates: the radiator does not give off the heat to the air, which leads to poor cooling. If the indoor unit is very dirty, the evaporator tubes can freeze. Dust can also clog the drain hose, then condensate will remain in the pan and then drip from the indoor unit.
Attention: Do not use hot water, the filters can deform.
If you are afraid of “getting into” the inside of the air conditioner yourself, call the master.
5. The radiator of the outdoor unit is dirty
Dust, fluff from plants, plaque from vehicle exhaust, and fan rotation may be obstructed on the heat exchanger. All this worsens the heat exchange of the condenser with the environment and decreases the cooling capacity of the air conditioner. In addition, the compressor may shut down due to overheating.
6. Low mains voltage
Lack of voltage often leads to overheating of the rotor winding and motor shutdown by the thermal relay.
If elimination of these problems did not improve the situation and cooling is still weak or absent, it means that the problem is in the nodes and parts of climatic equipment. In this case, it is necessary to have complete diagnostics by a specialist and service repair.
Have you found out that the conditioner switches on, but it cools badly or does not cool the air in the room at all? You have tried to solve the problem, but the situation has not changed? Ask us for professional help! Call us at SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning or book now.