The package of modern climatic devices includes a remote control that allows the user to control the start of the system and set the necessary options from a distance.
Like any technique, the remote control can fail, and at the most inopportune moment. You can solve this problem in several ways: call a master, take the faulty remote control for repair to the service center or try to solve the problem yourself, having previously studied the possible breakdowns of this device.
In this article, we will consider the information about the problems with AC control with the remote control, why the defects appear, the tips for solving them, and how to turn on (turn off) the AC without the remote control.
Causes of AC remote control malfunction
If the conditioner does not react at switching on from the remote control, first of all, you should find out what exactly is malfunctioning – a remote control or the appliance itself. To do this simply: try to start a split system with the help of the buttons on the body of the inside block. If the device worked, then the problem is with the remote control.
The main reasons for remote control malfunction:
– failed batteries (requires replacement with new ones);
– Malfunction of the microcircuit (repair or replacement of the remote control is necessary);
– Malfunction with the signal received from the air conditioner (to be eliminated by an experienced specialist).
There are several kinds of remote controls of air conditioners, which is important to consider when identifying the cause of the failure.
Types of remote controls and possible malfunctions:
1. If the remote control is wall-mounted, you need to check the voltage on the terminals. If there is none, then the fault must be looked for in the wiring. There may also be a fault in the circuit board of the air conditioner’s internal module. If there is voltage, you will need to repair or replace the remote.
2. In wireless remotes, the receiver board may be out of order.
Types and Diagnosis of AC Remote Control Failures
There are several ways to check if an air conditioner remote control is working properly. Let’s take a look at them.
How to diagnose the remote control malfunction:
1. If the remote control functions by infrared signals, you can diagnose the malfunction with a cell phone camera. The remote control is directed into the camera lens, any button is pressed and if the monitor lights up brightly, it means that the remote control is working properly. If it doesn’t, the remote control has to be repaired or replaced with a new one.
You can check the functionality of the remote control with a multimeter. To do this you need to direct the remote control to the device, having previously switched it on in the remote control test mode. Now press any button on the remote control and look at the device. If the light bulb lights up, the remote control is working.
Control of an air conditioner without a remote control.
If the conditioner does not start because of the remote control malfunction, you can start the device manually, using buttons on the inside unit. With their help, you can not only switch on the conditioner but also set necessary parameters – cooling temperature, air humidifying mode, and other programs, which are available in the split system.
In the user’s manual, included with the conditioner, there are detailed instructions about controlling the device with the help of the buttons on the indoor unit.
If you cannot solve the problem yourself, you will have to call a specialist from the service center. An experienced technician will diagnose the problem, quickly determine the cause, and troubleshoot the problem to ensure proper operation of the remote control and the air conditioner.
Don’t wait for your air conditioner to fail. If not repaired promptly, there is a very high likelihood that a lengthy comprehensive repair will be required. Even a few days without air conditioning in the summer heat in San Diego County, California, will greatly discomfort the whole family. But by calling the handypersons at SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning, you can avoid this problem.