As with other types of climate technology, these devices have undeniable advantages and a couple of disadvantages.
- Can be used for cooling, ventilation, and heating of apartments (functionality depends on the model).
- Absence of joints in freon tubes, which makes it impossible to leak freon.
- Mixing fresh air from the outside during work.
- Fairly low cost, for example, compared to inverter options, in which the compressor is also turned on/off during operation.
- Ease of controlling the window air conditioner – all necessary buttons and levers are located on the front panel, and some window models are equipped with remote control.
- You can service the device yourself and, if there are no breakdowns, do not resort to the paid assistance of specialists.
- The noise level is higher than that of other types of climate equipment. It is 41-47 dB and higher. For comparison, the noise level of the KAS21NFT Series FT27 indoor unit is 27-36 dB. But during the day, the buzzing of the “windowpane” does not stand out too much against the background of ordinary household noise
- During window installation, part of the window is occupied by the device. So that the lighting of the room does not “suffer”, you can use the option of installing the monoblock in the wall.
- Functionality is often less than in the same split systems. For example, in HPF/A17/N1 basic modes + add. functions. But here is a “double-edged sword”: more options = an increase in the price of the device.
- Despite its name, it is practically impossible to install a “window shutter” in stained glass or metal-plastic windows.
- It is better not to stand/sit near the device and not to fall under the cold stream of air from it, because there is a high probability of catching a cold from such contact.
- It is necessary to choose the right place for installing the “window pane” because it cannot be installed under direct sunlight (as an option, you will have to additionally install a protective visor).
How to choose a window conditioner?
What should be considered when buying such a device:
- The power of the window. A low-power device will not “pull” the cooling of large apartments. It is worth choosing based on the calculation of 100 W per 1 m2. Moreover, it is better to take with a margin if the room faces the sunny side, the apartments have a large number of windows or high ceilings. For example, in the CH parameters -S09WKP8 power of 2.55 kW and the fact that the device is designed for rooms with an area of 25 m2.
- Noise. If this indicator is not so fundamental for an office or industrial premises, then for home use it is worth looking after an air conditioner with low noise levels. For example, 40-45 dB is audible at the level of normal speech, and 60 dB is already noisy (loud conversation).
- Dimensions. Take into account the dimensions of the climate device so that the device fits in the opening with minimal gaps during window installation.
- Purposes of use. Do you need window technology only for cooling, or will the option of heating and ventilating the space come in handy? Each monoblock has its own set of functions, which should be studied before buying equipment.
All these data are indicated in the characteristics of the window monoblock, which can be studied on the seller’s website or clarified with consultants during an offline purchase.
You can use the help of professionals or try to cope on your own. In the latter case, it is worth stocking up with the necessary set of tools: a perforator, cartridges for drills, a jigsaw, a glass cutter, a level, a hacksaw, etc.
Basic rules for installing a climate device:
- Choose a place for installation. there may be a window opening (the distance between the frames after installation is 25 cm) or a wall whose thickness should not exceed 250 mm, otherwise, it may be difficult for air to reach the prefab gratings of the monoblock.
- Ensure condensate drain. For this, the rear part of the device is placed under a slight downward slope.
- Take care of the drainage hose. It should not touch the ground or water in the container designated for condensate collection.
- Do not forget to ground the device. It is necessary to carefully fix all terminals and wiring.
- Take into account the proximity of the outlet. The device works from the mains, so you need to check in advance whether the wire from it to the nearest outlet is enough.
In general terms, the installation process looks like this: cut out a place for the structure in the window/wall → install and fix the device case → mount the air conditioner itself → remove the drain → ground it → connect it to the power grid → check the functionality.
SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning can help you with any project, no matter whether it is the installation of a new HVAC system with efficiently routed ducts or a repair of a current system. You will always receive sound advice on any case. Our specialist at SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning will examine the ducts in your San Diego County home to make sure there are no leaks that should be addressed to avoid any malfunction in the future.
Any service is one using only high-quality parts and materials and we will always stand behind all of our results. Our technicians are equipped with a wealth of professional tools and are highly trained. Their professionalism, experience, and friendliness will make any ductwork job go smoothly from the beginning to the end.